Elected officials representing residents of the City of Springfield and Commonwealth of Massachusetts joined preschoolers for a session of creative painting on Family Friday, April 17 from 10:00 to 11:00 a.m., at the Square One Children’s Center at 255 King Street in Springfield. The event was one component of Square One’s recognition of Week of the Young Child for 2015.
“Each April, the National Association for the Education of Young Children shines a national spotlight on the needs of young children and their families while focusing the public’s attention on programs like Square One that meet those needs,” according to Cara Cole, Advancement Associate for Square One. “Week of the Young Child, celebrated this year from April 13 through 17, is an opportunity for the community to support the meaningful impacts being made in the lives of children and their families.”
“Our preschoolers at the King Street Children’s Center joined in with their legislators for some artist expression,” Cole explains. “Given Square One’s focus on children and families, their teachers will be encouraging the children to paint pictures of their own families, but they are free to express themselves however they wish. The same goes for their legislators.”
Family Friday caps off five days of activities connected with Week of the Young Child:
- Music Monday emphasizes the many ways music enhances learning, including better understanding of math, systems, creativity and expression. Singing songs is a regular occurrence in Square One classrooms that will get extra emphasis on Music Monday.
- Taco Tuesday is all about healthy eating and fitness, and a perfect tie-in with Square One’s nationally recognized LAUNCH curriculum on health, wellness and smart choices, as well as our Farm-to-Preschool model that enables our children to enjoy fresh produce from local farmers year round.
- Work Together Wednesday focuses on building something fun by working together. It might be a fort made from classroom furniture or maybe a city made from blocks. Working together, the children will figure it out.
- Artsy Thursday emphasizes the joy and learning children experience when engaged in creative art making. We’ll have lots of materials for them to use in expressing their vision!
- Family Friday gives the children at Square One another chance to apply the lessons and experience of creative art making when they sit with local and state legislators to paint pictures of their families.